What inspires me to continue and what tricks to I use

My journey on this healthier lifestyle change really comes down to habits, bad habits I want to break and good habits I want to foster or make.  So I started using the Noom app (previous posts talk about this) but now 25+ days plus into this I have seen some victories.

This is an example of what inspires me to keep going. This dress, I had in my closet for 10+ years, in fact, my husband has never seen me wear it EVER.  I put it on and he said: "hey did you buy a new dress that looks nice."  That felt so good.  So I took the picture and wrote the words and now that is my phone lock screen so I see it often and remind myself why I am working so hard to make these changes.

Seeing this and wearing this dress made me realize I achieved this goal by changing my habits.  On some level, I knew this but I didn't really internalize it, yet I took the picture as inspiration to keep doing what I was doing.

Once I internalized this I knew I had to lean on my guru, Gretchen Rubin because her work speaks to me.  I know my tendency, I am an obliger thank you very much.  I also know that in her book, Better Than Before, she has great ways to tweak things to build the habits you want to keep.  I was successful using that method before, specifically the strategies of 'Pairing' and 'Convenience'.

I should mention that in Noom (paid version) they give you psych tips to help you change your mindset and establish new habits, and since I have read Better Than Before some of those tips Noom is spouting sounds like Gretchen's book and that is not surprising.  It also makes me more confident that I can do this without the paid version, but like I said in my previous post I always reserve the right to go back if things are not working out on my own.

Another trick I use on myself that I know I am doing but it still works is plate size.  For my snacks I weigh it out and put it in a small custard dish if it is crackers or cottage cheese, it makes it look bigger.  For dinner, I usually go with a salad/lunch plate rather than a dinner plate.

My dinner plate was a standard size and even when using only the white portion that is a lot of real estate and I like a full plate.  Unfortunately, my pattern didn't have a lunch plate so I went with something else, and it is stacked on top of the dinner plate.  When I make my meals and use healthier portions I pretty much have that very full plate that I like to see.  For some reason, it helps me to feel more full.

Lastly, I don't try to change others, even in my own family.  They are free to make their choices (I am talking adults here I don't let my kids make choices willy nilly but they do have some say in what they eat).  For example, I made the decision to use the smaller plate, my kids and husband followed because they wanted to.  As I am making choices that are better for me I am finding support in my kids and husband, sometimes it is just them cheering me on and sometimes they are adopting my habits, like with the plate.  I do know that if I tried to force this issue it would end up backfiring on me.

My next goal is I would like to wear my engagement ring on a regular basis.  In theory, it should fit right now because I weigh less than I did when I got married (w00t!) but it still feels a bit tight but I am sure that I am so close I can almost taste it.  I know that these mini victories are helping me reach my longterm goal (again things I read in Better Than Before and in Noom's tips).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when it seems that the world is on fire?

Hole in the ground tour - Arizona

Eliminating some proccessed food where to start?