Is it an over reaction? No but I can understand why you might think that.


I understand that for many people they think that this unprecedented time of 'social distance' is an overreaction and if you look at it on the individual level yeah it is.  However, this is not at the individual level, this is bigger than the individual which is why it is not an overreaction.

For me this time of sequester (I like that better than social distancing) I am anticipating it being about 2 weeks because that is the amount of time the schools in my district will be closed.  I fully expect that the time could be extended but who knows if it will be and for how long.

So my plan of attack for now:
  1. Make a schedule; I know that this is best for me personally as a schedule loving person.  Additionally, I know that my kids are schedule driven even if they don't see it; they need a schedule even more now because their source of scheduling is school and they don't have that to fall back on.  I find comfort in schedules because I don't need to think about what I should do or what I want to do, my schedule is a way to prevent me for flailing in indecision.  It gives me something to focus on when there is so much uncertainty.
  2. Limit news; taking what I learned from the Power of Bad I just need to turn the channel.  I do not need to know how many new cases popped up or how many fatalities there were.  I just need to know that the best thing for us is to be at home and if that changes I will pick it on my few trips to a news site  This means limiting my time on Facebook, I can't give it up and I don't think it is good to do that, but yeah I spend less time there.  You can think of yourself as a pioneer of sorts when the news wasn't available all the time.
  3. Re-framing; thinking of what I can do.  That list of household chores my husband and I have and we never get to, guess what we have time since we are not going to soccer practice, PTO things etc.  And bonus no commute time for my husband.
  4. Think of all the cool memories that you can make as a family.  This unusual time actually made me think back to when I was in grade school, I remember where I was during the Challenger Incident.  I remember what I was doing on and around September 11th.  What they have in common is that they were tragedies and the families of those that lost their lives were far more affected than I was, the same thing is happening right now. The rational approach is that by sequestering and maintaining good hygiene means that I am inconvenienced but it won't be a personal tragedy.   I keep reminding myself of this, I need to focus on the rational and not fear what is going on, and I need to remind myself that most likely this will not be a personal tragedy.  There are times where my anxiety ramps up and I tell myself this like a mantra, and there are other times where my anxiety is in check and I say it less frequently.
  5. Re-discovery; to help me limit my exposure to the news I have largely turned off the radio and I LOVE music I almost always have it on.  But the funny thing is I went to my media center and I have a metric boatload (that is a technical term) of music, some music I had forgotten I had, some music was a surprise, because the music collection is a combination of stuff I own as well as what my husband owns.  I started making random play lists of familiar, forgotten, and surprise songs, I paid no attention to the genres I just added things willy-nilly and that whimsy has made me laugh a few times as the songs transition across so many genres.
Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for. 
~Epicurus


Some of the people that are in the high risk category are immune-compromised individuals, and they tend to be somewhat invisible.  What I mean by that is if you look at a group of co-workers or people on the subway you cannot see that they are immune-compromised, so you probably know quite a few high risk people even if you don't know it.  <--THIS is one (of the many) reasons why we need to take this action.

It also seems that so many are so focused on themselves that they forget common sense.  True story, someone had taken a patient for a day surgery and was their ride home.  That person, the one that was doing the drive, had just returned from Italy 8 days earlier, and presented themselves and ignored the recommendation to keep to themselves for 14 days.  That surgery was canceled and now everyone that was with that driver and quite possibly that patient (who was already prepped for surgery) came in contact with could have cause for concern.    <---THIS is one (of many) reasons why we need to take this action.

Yes, this time is stressful and inconvenient but it is necessary however annoying it is.  There are times that we are excited that we are able to travel so widely and we interact with so many people around the world and most of the time that is good.  But to have those good times, you have to accept that there will be not so good times like this.  It is the give and take of the so-called shrinking world.

(Note I like using Sequestered rather than social distancing.  I looked it up and found this : from Old French sequestrer or late Latin sequestrare ‘commit for safekeeping’. In my case our sequestered period began on Friday, March 13, 2020 which is the first day our school was closed.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when it seems that the world is on fire?

Hole in the ground tour - Arizona

Updates on my healthier swaps, and what is next