Process or Product?

I have been doing a lot of thinking about jobs, work, and careers lately and one thing that came to mind is a concept that many people that crochet or knit known and understand well. And that is identifying what about the craft they enjoy, are they a process or product person.  I realized that can very easily apply to a job/career as well.  

All of my corporate work experience is in some area of financial data or banking.  As I looked at job postings I would often see a phrase that was similar to "must be passionate about XYZ industry".  On one level I completely understand how that would be a benefit for the employee and even the employer, however that doesn't always mean that passion can mean the person is the best for the job.

What is Process vs. Product?

I am going to define what I mean in terms of process vrs product as an employee.

Process: A person that is a process employee probably doesn't have love or hate for the industry they just like the process of doing their job, and can have multiple things going to have some variance in the activity.

Product: A person that is project employee probably loves the company or industry.  They may not like the process at all but want the end result of doing something positive for the company or industry that they are in.

Are you one or the other?

I will go out on a limb and say that this is not a simple clear cut answer of you are one or the other because humans are rarely that simple.  However, I believe that each person tends to mostly associate with being either process or product driven, in both their personal and professional lives.

In my professional life I am certainly more process driven.  I very much enjoy the process of guiding a product through its life cycle, working on schedules for feature creation, enhancement, and even bug fixes.  Even doing some of the mundane things like documenting things, talking to users to find our why they want something rather than simply following what they say they want.

Of course there are occasionally a feature that really excites me and for that segment of job I am all in as a product employee for whatever reason.  These features tend to be the exception and that is ok by me because overall I enjoy the process of being a product manager a lot more than the individual product.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when it seems that the world is on fire?

Hole in the ground tour - Arizona

Eliminating some proccessed food where to start?